Need a quick answer? Adidas Men’s Entrap Mid Basketball Shoe is our top pick for the best mid-top basketball shoe.
Mid-top basketball shoes are great options when you need ankle support and flexibility on the court. You want a pair of shoes that can withstand the rigors of gameplay and last long, giving you value for money.
You’ll want to consider not only performance but also style. Does the mid-top allow for flexibility? Does the upper material sit right at the ankle to provide some coverage without an all-enclosing design? Does the shoe make a great addition to your basketball shoe collection?
The perfect mid-top shoes should enhance performance, comfort, and fashion.
It’s quite difficult to find the best one for having so much variety and options. We have talked with hundreds of users and finalized our list based on their verdict. Let’s have a look at some mid-tops that not only function well but make a statement, too.
8 Best mid top basketball shoes reviews
1. Adidas Men’s Entrap Mid Basketball Shoe – Top Pick
Adidas is known for hot lifestyle sneakers for a good reason. This Men’s Entrap mid basketball shoe represents the comfort and style of Adidas while offering performance you can rely on. Besides its affordable price point, the Men’s Entrap actually lives up to the brand’s reputation for comfort and style.
With a combination of synthetic leather and mesh upper, this beauty has a classic and stylish design. The Entrap highlights a basketball mid-top style with a supportive comfort collar. Another selling point of the Entrap is its old-school look, making it a great addition to your retro collection.
This Adidas entrap has a huge fan base and most of the users are very much in love with this pair of shoes for both reliable quality and budget price. This is much cheaper than a conventional Jordan. And the quality is quite outstanding. This is quite an old-school style with a very attractive look. It is stylish, comfortable, and very lightweight. One user says, Every bit like high top forces but without the straps and as comfortable if not more! Will be buying another pair just to have on the deck or customize! Very pleased with the product”. Another one mentions, They are just as stylish and fit just as well as the Raleigh with a very similar style so I don’t get the huge price difference. Must be a sneaker collectors thing. Anyway, the Entrap Mid is an excellent sneaker”.
- Basket-ball inspired silhouette combines retro style and modern comfort
- Leather and mesh upper
- Sturdy rubber midsole and outsole for impact protection
- Available in beautiful colorways
- Ortholite footbed for impact protection
- Padded ankle collar and tongue for additional ankle support
- Classic and stylish design
- Great color combination
- Extremely comfortable
- One of the most affordable Adidas on the market
A bit narrow (not for those with wide feet)
2. Adidas Men’s Hoops 2.0 Mid Basketball Shoe – Best for Budget
The top budget mid-top for this list is the Adidas Hoops 2.0, retro-inspired mid-top shoes for everyday wear. The Hoops 2.0 shoe has garnered buyers’ praise for its affordability and vintage aesthetics.
Despite its streamlined design and great price, the Hoops mid-cut shoe features a sturdy construction. The soft, subtly patterned suede upper with leather-like details gives a premium look. The rubber outsole provides excellent grip while keeping you comfortable for long walks or games in the park. The Hoops is not only super sleek but also offers excellent ankle support.
This is another great budget-friendly basketball shoe from Adidas. This is again a nice old school look basketball shoe from Adidas. It is very comfortable. It has a very stylish look with a strong grip and traction. It comes at a very affordable price without any compromise with quality.
But some users had a few size issues as well. So it is recommended to check the size properly before ordering one pair. One user also mention that it feels a bit hard. But he also said still it is comfortable enough and he loves this classic look of these shoes. People with wide feet may find it a bit tide. because it’s all leather on both sides. So people with wide feet may need 1 size larger than usual.
- Stitched-on 3-strips Adidas wordmark on heel and tongue
- Nice-looking synthetic leather upper
- Thick, rubber outsole
- Padded tongue and collar
- Die-cut EVA sock liner for comfort and cushioning
- Classic design with a modern vibe
- Neutral colorways allow you to pair with jeans, joggers, and shorts
- Style, comfort, and durability at an affordable price
- Basket-ball inspired mid-top design offers more ankle support
- The shoes are narrow and do not fit wide feet
Whether on the court or the streets, the Hoops Mid 2.0 offers excellent support, comfort, durability, and impressive aesthetics, making a great addition to your wardrobe.
3. Adidas Performance Men’s Cloudfoam Ilation Mid Basketball Shoe – Best Performance
Next on the list is the Adidas Performance Cloudfoam Ilation mid. Besides its mid-cut design that provides added stability, this performance shoe features perforations on the side and a plush mesh tongue and collar for breathability.
With Cloudfoam sock liner and molded foam midsole padding, the llation mid offers comfort. It comes in various colorways to choose from, and the brand’s 3-stripes on the side enhance the street vibe. This pair of sporty shoes pair with shorts, jeans or even tees or sweatpants.
- Leather material to maintain its use for long-term use.
- Cloudfoam technology allows for lightweight comfort
- The zig-zag rubber outsole provides an extra grip on surfaces
- Perforations on the side and front and mesh tongue and collar allow ventilation.
- Cloudfoam sock liner helps secure your foot into the shoes
- Cloudfoam technology enables lightness
- Classic, stylish design
- Comfortable and soft cushioning
- Lightweight and breathable
- Provides great traction on smooth surfaces
- Outsole peels off and falls apart easily
The Adidas Cloudfoam llation Mid offers comfort and style on a budget. It is a top-performance basketball mid shoe with adequate support and ankle stability for both indoors and outdoors.
4. Adidas Unisex-Child Hoops Mid 2.0 Basketball Shoe –Best for Kids
The unisex-child Hoops Mid 2.0 basketball shoe has a court-inspired design with contrasting colors for a stylish look. The hook-and-loop closure strap looks like laces provide convenience for your kid, while the mesh collar provides breathability.
With a rubber outsole for excellent grip and an EVA midsole that provides lightweight cushioning, your kid will enjoy impressive comfort and adequate support during games. Moreover, the OrthoLite Float sock liner delivers enhanced comfort and performance.
- Stylish sports shoes for active feet
- Synthetic leather upper with mesh collar for durability and breathability
- Hook-and-look closure straps that look like laces
- Comfortable Textile lining
- Rubber outsole provides excellent grip
- Well made and stylish looking
- Good for indoor basketball
- Comfortable and durable
- Comes in cute cartoon options
- Holds up to everyday use
- Sturdy bottom
Velcro doesn’t stay snapped on
This Mid Hoops 2.0 is a cute, really sturdy shoe for your little athletes. With a leather design and rubber sole, it keeps up with your child’s daily activities. Sporting leather-like upper and Adidas signature 3-stripes, and contrast colors, these adorable kids’ kicks combine basketball with lifestyle.
The Nike Court Vision Mid fuses basketball style from the ’80s with the lightweight, comfy design of modern sneakers. With perforations on the shoe’s upper part, you get sufficient airflow to keep your foot fresh and dry.
This Nike Court Vision also has an EVA sock liner for cushioning and stability. Its rubber outsole with a circular tread pattern provides excellent traction. This Nike sneaker lends a versatile style perfect when you want an athletic or casual vibe.
- Nike’s embossed swoosh makes a loud style statement
- ·Leather upper provides breathability and style
- EVA footbeds with mesh overlay deliver cushioning and impact protection
- Perforated leather upper for breathability
- Padded shoe tongue and ankle collar for added support
- Minimalist design with bold graphic style
- Statement streetwear style with a sporty edge
- Pairs perfectly with athletic and casual clothing.
· Available in multiple colorways
· Affordable price point
Leather upper is inflexible
The Court vision offers a classic design with its retro construction and modern performance. The perforated leather upper and deep traction outsole is a reminiscence of the mid-1980s basketball shoes. The big swoosh design amplifies the classic vibe.
Another vintage on this list is the Adidas men’s Hoops 2.0. These sporty shoes feature a minimalist design like other Hoops 2.0 models. The synthetic leather upper provides durability, and the mesh collar allows for breathability.
For this mid-top shoe, Adidas ditched the outlandish, flashy aesthetics. Instead, the leather-look upper has a no-nonsense silhouette of that old-school basketball shoe structure. With the brand’s iconic 3-stripe design and trendy colors, these basketball kicks pair well with a variety of casual clothing.
· Synthetic leather for durability
· Mesh collar enables breathability
· Classic design with Adidas 3-stripes
· Lace closure for a custom fit
· Rubber sole for durable traction
· Comfortable for long walks
· High-quality materials and construction
· Great design and colorways
· Cheap casual shoes
- Inside seams near the toes curl
- Thin insole
- Not sturdy enough for actual basketball
This Adidas Hoops 2.0 looks great and pairs well with casual clothing. However, the toe box creases easily. In addition, the shoes could use some more cushion in the sole.
7. Jordan Men’s Air 1 Mid 554724 122 Metallic Red – Size 10.5 – Premium Choice
This Chicago Bulls inspired colorway of Micheal Jordan’s first signature shoe lives up to Jordan’s Air 1 influence and status. The Bull team’s black, white and red add a retro look to the design of this sporty shoe.
Full-leather uppers and a rubber midsole and outsole provide extra sturdiness and weight. The toe box and both sides are covered with soft leather, hugging your feet. Adding a trendy vibe to the Metallic design is a Nike swoosh and “Air Jordan” wing logo on the mid and topsides.
- White leather on the perforated toe and on the mid panel.
- Black leather forefoot, collar, eyelets, and heel
- Comfortable insole
- Metallic Red design with Nike Swoosh
· Comfortable fit for all-day use
· Versatile, minimalist design blends with various styles
· Sturdy, long-lasting construction
· Inferior leather compared to the Air Jordan 1 High
· Toe box creases easily
This hybrid of the AJ 1 High and Low is ideal for you if you want a perfect heel collar without the restrictive feel of the high-top models. The Air Jordon 1 Mid lets you enjoy the best of both worlds – sports and fashion.
Featuring, a cushioned insole, a mid-cut ankle, and lace fastening, this Hoops Mid 2.0 streamlined men’s shoe delivers a secure and comfortable fit. The stitched details and Adidas branding in contrasting detail across the heel and the side keep the classic vibe going.
Like the other Adidas Hoops 2.0 Mid models, the mid-top silhouette cradles your ankle just below the joint, preventing injuries. Inside the shoe, the comfy footbed conforms closely to the soles of your feet, giving adequate support to the arches. However, some users noted that the outsole doesn’t provide enough traction during demanding games.
· Synthetic leather with stitched-on 3-stripes design
· Mesh collar for breathable comfort
· Adidas wordmark on heel and tongue
· Die-Cut EVA Textile lining provides comfort
· Classic basketball shoe aesthetic and silhouette
· High-quality construction at a pocket-friendly price
· Comfortable casual footwear for everyday activities
· Not enough traction and comfort for demanding games
This popular budget athletic shoe serves a decent purpose as an everyday casual shoe. Despite its low price point, it has high-quality construction. The streamlined, clean aesthetic adds to its overall visual appeal.
Why choose mid-top basketball shoes
- Less restrictive than a usual high-top basketball shoe
- More supportive than a usual low-top basketball shoe
- Lighter than general high top basketball shoes
- Helps to run and react quicker by increasing speed
- Ideal for explosive, fast and powerful players.
Types of Basketball Shoes silhouette
When choosing a basketball shoe for style, you have many options to suit the look you want. However, if you need shoes for paying on the court, it’s advisable to choose based on your playing style. Research has shown that wearing the right shoes for basketball will help you improve your comfort and performance while preventing injuries. Your basketball shoes should be able to keep up when you’re running sprints from one end of the court to the other.
Let’s have a look at the three basic types of basketball shoes for specific kinds of players:
High-tops basketball shoes are one of your best options for ankle support. These sneakers are designed to provide an extra layer of stability and support. They’re the tallest design but can be heavy and can affect speed. However, thanks to modern technology, high-tops are now lighter and more streamlined. High-tops are best suited for power players or close-quarter players who need extra ankle support for rebounds and shots. If you’re in a forward position and you jump and land for most of the game, high-tops can give you the needed shock absorption.
- Provides an extra layer of ankle support
- Better than other types of shoes for jumping
- High-tops can affect running speed
- Can be heavy
Mid-Top Basketball Shoes
These types of shoes are ankle-high, allowing players to leverage added movement. They keep ankles flexible while providing some support. But they do not give as much stability as high tops. Mid-top sneakers stop at ankle level, letting you leverage added movement. They offer full support without being bulky. Mid tops are great for when you need quick bursts of speed and an average amount of jumping. It’s a hybrid shoe that’s great for versatile players or hybrid-type players.
- Great ankle support
- Provides mobility for quick bursts of speed
- Increased flexibility for all-round players
- Not great for high jumpers
- Less ankle support than high-top basketball shoes
- Provides less mobility than low tops
Low-top basketball shoes are cut in a way that they end under the ankle. These are the standard athletic shoes. The main advantage of low-tops is the speed and reaction that they offer on the court. If you want maximum flexibility, low-tops are your best. They do make it easier to move quickly, maneuver quickly and pivot sharply. Besides, it’s easier to run in low tops. However, despite running your fastest in these types of sneakers, they provide the least amount of ankle support. Basketball guard players will find the low-top suitable. Unlike Mid tops or high tops that can be narrow, low tops are easy to wear and great for those with wide feet.
When shopping for basketball low tops, it’s easy to confuse them with tennis shoes or other athletic shoes. Basketball designs differ in terms of thick, cushioning midsole that add bulk and weight. They also have more shock-absorbing materials ad cushioning compared to other types of shoes.
Low top shoe advantages
- Lightweight compared to high tops and mid tops
- Provides traction and speed
- Great for guard players
Low top shoe disadvantages
- Least amount of ankle support
- Lesser cushioning for knee joints
- Risk of injury
Check some of the best nike low top basketball shoes.
High-top basketball shoes are great for ankle support and suitable for jumpers. Mid tops are also good for ankle support, though not as much as high tops. Low tops are the best for speed and traction, but they provide minimal ankle support. So when shopping for a basketball shoe, go for the type that best suits your style of play.
Are mid-top basketball shoes better?
The height of the mid-top shoes is between high-top and low-top shoes. Mid-cut shoes are known for the flexibility that they provide the player. They are lower than high-top shoes, which means the player’s ankle is less restricted. This flexibility gives you more mobility to make swift turns and jump for rebounds. In addition, mid-tops provide more ankle coverage than low tops, offering you better protection during the game. Besides, mid-tops lend more speed. They make it easy to run up and down the court due to less restriction. The flexibility of mid-tops makes them suitable for all-around players. However, they provide less mobility compared to low tops and lesser ankle support than high cuts.